Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Summer Blahs...

I missed my Sunday long run :o(
Something about an evening of margaritas makes it hard to get up and run at 5:30AM the next day. Who knew.

I've been running strong so far this week, but feeling blah. No air conditioning makes 90 degree weather a little unbearable. I've been trying to adjust my run schedule to run during the coolest parts of the day. It's been crazy. BUT I'm not complaining. If mother nature hears me complain we'll get 8 months of sub-zero temps this winter. It's the curse of living in Michigan.

Since running has been such a crazy sweat-fest, I've been trying to really pack the nutrients into my food.

I got this recipe idea from theAlmostRunner I made it the way she does originally, and it's great...then I got a little crazy with it. This recipe is so easy and so versatile you just gotta start messing with it....and yes, I actually fire up the oven when it's 90 and I have no air conditioning. I'm mental like that.

First the ingredients:
Frozen edamame
Frozen Okra
Frozen Stir Fry Veggies (any frozen veggies will work)
Fresh sliced mushrooms
Raw Baby leaf spinach (chopped)
Fresh Brussel Sprouts (with the ends chopped off and split in half)
1/4 cup - Tamari or soy sauce (slightly more if needed to coat veggies)1/4 cup pineapple juice (slightly more if needed to coat veggies)



To Prepare:
combine veggies, pineapple juice and soy sauce in a gallon size ziplock bag...shake vigorously to coat veggies. This could be done several hours in advance if you add a smidge more pineapple juice...the acid in the pineapple juice will keep the veggies from going brown.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spread the veggies thinly on a cookie sheet.


Cook for 15 minutes...flip and shuffle veggies then cook for 15 more minutes.

While the veggies are cooking...you can mix up some Quinoa...I had some ready made in the fridge. It takes 15 minutes to cook up so you have time to cook it while the veggies are in the oven. (or in my case...just nuke them to warm them through)


Pull the veggies out of the oven...mmmm...looks yummy!


Combine veggies and quinoa in a bowl and serve...

No comments: