Friday, May 9, 2008

I did something a little different today. I fartlek'd...for those of you who may not know a fartlek is....

"A fartlek is almost as fun to do as it is to say. "Fartlek" is Swedish
for "speed play" and consists of bursts of speed in the middle of a training
run. Essentially, it's an unstructured interval session, the track without the
rules. Fartlek gets your legs used to a variety of paces and in the process
gives you an enhanced awareness of your ability to keep up those paces at
various distances.
After warming up, run at an easy training pace, throwing
in bursts of speed for various distances throughout the run. Vary the speed and
times of the speed sections, from as short as 15 seconds to as long as two or
three minutes. Between these bursts, allow yourself enough recovery time to
match roughly 2/3 of the effort time. The recovery pace, though, should be
faster than the recovery jog you might do during intervals on the track; keep it
moving at an easy training pace. "


That was interesting, I struggled to keep my breath undercontrol and was able to hold 8.0 MPH for one minute. In the running world I'm sure that's laughable but for me, I think it's something to be proud of. Here is exactly what I did...

5:oo minutes walk 3.3 MPH
0:45 seconds run 8.0 MPH
5:15 Minutes Walk 3.5 MPH
1:oo Minute run 8.0 MPH
5:00 Minutes Walk 3.5 MPH
1:oo Minute run 8.0 MPH
7:00 Minutes Walk 3.5 MPH


That ended up being about 25:oo minutes of running and I went a distance of 1.67 miles.
Then I did a little light yoga too!

No comments: