Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The beginning....

Agggggghh....
Here we go.

Monday was the official start of the half marathon training. Monday is a rest day. Any program that starts out with resting is A.OK in my book...lol. This week will go something like this:

Monday - Rest
Tuesday - Fartlek (2 Miles)
Wednesday - 2 miles
Thursday - 2 miles
Friday - Rest
Saturday - 3 miles
Sunday - 4 miles

This is actually my own creation, I call it week zero of the Beginner Half Marathon Program. It's my way of easing myself into the program so I don't get overwhelmed right away.

In the coming weeks I'll be expending alot of nutrients as I run and sweat. So my current plan is to supplement my diet with lots of good nutrient filled foods. One of the healthy thing that I really enjoy is something called a green smoothie....called that because you add a leafy green to the fruit smoothie mix. Don't worry it's not gross...you don't even notice it's there. I have a green smoothie recipe for anyone who might be interested. I like to make these now and then. So now that I'm doing the half-marathon training I'll be making these everyday (hopefully) as part of my healthy approach to training.

Black Berry Green Smoothie Recipe

Makes 1 serving

Ingredients

40 g baby spinach leaves
2 tbsp Orange Juice
1/4 cup filtered water
54 g Banana
72 g pineapple
80 g blackberries or you could do blueberries instead
1/4 cup water

Directions
In a mixer blend together baby spinach, orange juice and 1/4 cup of water. Blend well until it makes a nice green liquid. You should see a few tiny leaf fragments but that is all. Stop the blender and add the remaining ingredients. Fresh is best but frozen works well too. In this recipe I used frozen black berries. Blend until desired consistency is achieved and enjoy.

By my calculation the total calorie count for the recipe above is 142 calories. I really enjoy these green smoothies. It gives me the sweetness I crave with the veggies and fruits I need. Can you tell I’m really excited about smoothies? Haha. It’s funny how some things just work for you, and other things no matter how hard you try you just can’t seem to make them work. Smoothies are a definite “fit” for me.

No comments: