Thursday, June 4, 2009

In..1..2..Out...1...2.


So far for June I've ran twice, 1.5 miles each time. I'm learning something about the way I breathe. I am constantly holding my abs very tight when I run. Sounds like a good thing but I'm finding that it alters my breathing and then rather than breathing deeply using my diaphragm I'm actually just breathing shallowly with my chest. So Wednesday morning when I ran I tried to think about my diaphragm moving down as I breathed in...I thought about the air going all the way down to my belly then I'd exhale. In..1..2..Out...1...2. As I exhaled I thought about my diaphragm pulling up into my lungs and squeezing all the air out. Visualizing this really seems to help keep me focused and keeps my breathing under control. Other than that not much new on the ole' running front. I just keep trucking along. Right now I'm doing something like Week5 day2 of the c25k. I'm not following the C25k exactly coz I'm trying to get ready for the half marathon training program...so I wanna speed up the c25k. But week 5 day 2 is the..

Brisk five-minute warm up walk, then:
Jog 8 minutes
Walk 5 minutes
Jog 8 minutes

I've been doing 4 minutes of walking in between the 2 jogs. I did that on Monday and on Wednesday. By then end of this week I want to be running for 20 minutes with no walking or holding on to the treadmill...that is my goal. I've gotta get ready to start the half marathon training and the first week of it looks like this.

Week 1
Mon. Off
Tue. Fartlek(4M)
Wed. 4M
Thu. 4M
Fri. Off
Sat. 3M
Sun. 6M


I Know I'm not ready for all that just yet!


I did find a half marathon program that's 8 weeks long and starts out at just 2 miles
http://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pages/clubs/triathlon/training/Half_Marathon.htm

Week 1
Mon. Rest
Tues. 2M
Wed. 30min cross train
Thurs. 2M
Fri. Rest
Sat. 30 min cross train
Sun. 4M

So I don't know...I'll have to see how I'm doing next week.


No comments: